I fell foul of this problem this week whereby I had been installing a System Center Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 site server. This was a new build Windows Server 2012 but as I began the installation a handy error message alerted me to the existence of an SCCM client. It became apparent that the existing Configuration Manager 2007 implementation was set to deploy clients to any discovered device automatically. I then went about removing the client, the command to use for this is as follows:
See here for more details.
This then allowed me to re-run the installation without issue. Except, once the installation completed and I began configuration I soon realised that the installation of the management point had actually failed. After checking the MPMSI.log I could see the following error throughout the file:
- Failed to compile ‘D:\Program Files\SMS_CCM\CcmExec_Global.mof’ (Phase: 3, Object: 5, Lines: 76 – 83, Error: 80041002)
- Failed to compile ‘D:\Program Files\SMS_CCM\PolicyDefaults.mof’ (Phase: 3, Object: 4, Lines: 49 – 57, Error: 80041002)
- Failed to compile ‘D:\Program Files\SMS_CCM\DataTransferService.mof’ (Phase: 3, Object: 5, Lines: 318 – 323, Error: 80041002)
- Failed to compile ‘D:\Program Files\SMS_CCM\CcmExec_MP.mof’ (Phase: 3, Object: 1, Lines: 31 – 36, Error: 80041002)
- mp.msi exited with return code: 1603
I attempted to remove and re-install the management point a number of times but the results were the same. After some searching around the web I found that the error was related to the previous existence of a Configuration Manager client on the server. It seems that the client uninstall still leaves some traces on the machine. After reading various posts I found that some people had success with the SMS tool CCMCLEAN but this didn’t work for me. I also found a number of posts that suggested re-building the WMI repository but this seemed a little extreme. In the end I ran the following powershell command to remove any trace of ‘CCM’ from WMI. Make sure you note the space after FROM.
Get-WMIObject -namespace “root” -query “SELECT * FROM __Namespace where name = ‘ccm’” | remove-wmiobject
I then re-installed the management point and watched MPMSI.log with CMTrace, the installation completed. I won’t fall foul of that one again!